Because of Who You Are
How do we show our love for God? We are told in Deuteronomy 6:4-6, “The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart…KJV.
What does loving the Creator of the universe look like? Here are some ways to consider. They are not ranked in any order.
1) Desire Him. Want to be in His presence and experience what is called in Christian circles as fellowship. It is having a strong yearning to be with him. Moses asked to see God face to face, but the Lord said it would be too much. So Moses caught a glimpse of God as He moves on the backside of the mountain. The key point here is Moses wanted more time with God. His desire was to be in Holy Communion with the one who created him and sent on to experience life. We should want to have an intimate fellowship with God; to earnestly seeks and bask in the radiance of His holy and loving light. Jesus said if we but knock at the door He would come in and be with us.
2) Saturate your mind with His Word. How do you get to know someone-really get to know them? It’s by spending time in their presence. The same principle applies here. In order to show how much we love God, we need to spend time in his word. Read, meditate, study, discuss what you discover with others. Ask for our loving God to reveal himself to us.
3) Praise Him. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name. 1 Chronicles 29:12-14 KJV. Praise means to express admiration or approval for what God has done, and to express thanks and appreciation.
4) Worship God. You do this by showing devotion and having intense love and admiration for Him. Prayer, singing, lifting up our hands in joyous celebration of His works in services and fellowship demonstrate appreciation for all the things He has done. The Bible says “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth”.John 4:23-25. I like what the writer on http://www.praise-and-worship.com/ said about worship, that it involves having a heart of submission, obedience, humility, repentance, and commitment. To love God is to worship fully with everything you have.
5) Share God and His message. Tell others about the goodness of God. Carry the message of love into all the world. This does not mean you have to leave the country, but you can be a living example of the abundant seed of Divine love. “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you”.John 15:11-13
6) Demonstrate the love of God. Author and preacher Jonathan Edwards in his Treatise on Grace wrote, “Because we are abundantly taught in the Scripture that Divine Love is the sum of all dauty; and all that God requires of us is fulfilled in it, i.e., That love is the sum of all duty of the heart, and its exercises and fruits the sum of all [the] duty of life.” Everything we do and say should be summed up in the love we have for one another and for ourselves. We are His branches on the Tree of Life, and as such each branch should blossomed with the sweet aroma of His Love.
7) Believe in God and His Son. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:15-17 If God could send His only Son out of love of us to earth, and to pay for our sins, we in turns need to show our profound love for Him by believing in Him and His Son Jesus Christ. Trust Him and believe in the truth of His love.
I said at the beginning that these activities or disciplines were not in any order. Some may read this and think, well I would have put Number 7 as the first thing we need to do to show our love. And you would be right. Belief in God and His Son is the first act of love. God wants to have a fantastic relationship with us; to love on us; to restore us; and to enjoy our company. So maybe your faith and trust in Him as Lord and Savior would be to say Yes, I want to be in the relationship, and then to begin the journey. Now that’s loving God.
2 Replies to “Seven Ways to Express Love for God”
Discovering who we are in Gods presence is essential. I agree with your statement it doesn’t matter what order we put these 7 principles in as long as we apply them.
Thankyou!!!!! For your commitment to enrich our loves.
Thank you Rochelle for seeing the truth of God’s love.